Awesome Achiote Chicken
If you aren't familiar with achiote, it lends dishes that earthy flavor familiar to a number of southwestern dishes. The distinct spice plays a defining role in this fabulous chicken dish that is dripping with flavor.
For 0004 Person(s)
- 57 grams achiote paste
- 1/2 cup(s) lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) salt
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) pepper
- 1 onions, peeled
- 1 head garlic
- 1 orange, peeled
- 48 ounce(s) chicken, brined
- Combine the achiote paste, lime juice, garlic cloves, vinegar, cumin, salt and pepper in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Take half of the marinade and set aside.
- Rub the rest of the marinade all over the chicken, inside and out. Place in a bowl and cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- Once ready place the chicken on a work surface.
- Place the onion, garlic and orange and stuff inside the chicken's cavity.
- Tie the legs together and place them on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side down.
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Turn the chicken, breast side up and add remaining marinade over the chicken and bake for 50 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes before serving.