Healthy Chicken Vieja
Imagine in ropa vieja sans the red meat. Chances are -- you just conjured up this scintillating substitute. This popular Cuban cuisine replaces beef with chicken for a leaner take on a traditional favorite.
For 0004 Person(s)
- 4 chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 4 cup(s) vegetable stock, low sodium organic
- 1 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 red pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 6 tablespoon(s) Sofrito
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup(s) tomato sauce, low sodium
- 4 floz white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cup(s) organic brown rice
- Place the chicken breasts into a medium pot and pour vegetable stock over them. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and shred into strips using a fork; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, Sofrito and garlic. Sauté for about 7 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, tomato sauce, white wine, garlic powder, vinegar, bay leaf and stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice.