Tasty Tomato Soup
Kick aside the Campbell's -- and opt for this homemade tomato soup. A gourmet accompaniment to grilled cheese, you can't go wrong with this bowl of goodness.
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 dash(es) salt
- 2 fennel bulbs, sliced
- 4 cup(s) tomatoes, canned, not drained
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) anise extract
- 4 basil leaves
- Place a large soup pot over medium-low heat and add the oil.
- Add and onion and a dash of salt.
- Cook and stir for about 10 minutes.
- Add the fennel and cook for 2 minutes, until the seeds are toasted well.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the tomatoes, a teaspoon of salt, and anise extract.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the soup from the heat and cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Process the soup in batches in a blender on high speed until smooth.
- Garnish each serving with basil leaves. Serve.