Vegan Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
Get ready for the return of the Mac! Instead of the traditional mac and cheese, this dish utilizes the mouth-watering flavor of butternut squash in place of the main dairy staple. One bite of this scrumptious side that's off the beaten path, and it is sure to be added to your "hit" list.
For 0004 Person(s)
- 1 cup(s) rice elbow macaroni (dry)
- 1 cup(s) butternut squash, cubed
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) Non-dairy butter
- 3/4 cup(s) almond milk, unsweetened and unflavored
- 1 tablespoon(s) flour
- 6 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon(s) dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) onion powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel, cut, cube and deseed butternut squash. Peel butternut squash. Cut neck of butternut squash off from rounded end. Cut lengthwise and cut into cubes. Cut rounded end lengthwise and spoon out seeds and throw away. You may have enough squash from neck, but if you feel you need more, cut the rounded part into cubes. Boil cubes of butternut squash until tender all the way through.
- Create vegan cheese sauce. Add one tablespoon of non-dairy butter to warm pan. In a medium bowl whisk flour and milk until smooth consistency. Add to pot and whisk. Stir in remaining ingredients and whisk over low heat until thickened.
- Cook pasta as directed on box
- In food processor or blender, combine cheese sauce and 1 cup of butternut squash. Blend until squash is not chunky and smooth.
- Mix in cooked, drained pasta in with cheese sauce in a pot and heat while stirring occasionally for about 15 mins.
- Once heated, stir and serve warm. Enjoy!