Black Eyed Peas and Cornbread
We've gone country! Knock dinner out with these black-eyed peas and cornbread. Your family will totally take comfort with this Southern-style grub. Dig in!
For 4 Person(s)
- 16 ounce(s) lean Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup(s) cornmeal
- 1/2 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 4 tablespoon(s) egg whites
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 1/2 ounce(s) chilies
- 1 cup(s) yogurt, plain
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup(s) reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 15 ounce(s) black-eyed peas
- 1 cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat, for about 7-10 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, egg whites, onion, chilies, yogurt, oil, cheese, and peas.
- Add sausage mixture
- Use cooking spray to grease a 9 x13 inch pan or muffin tins.
- Pour the mixture into the pan or tins and bake for 45 minutes for pan, 20-25 for muffins.
- Serve hot.